When the Society was formed in 1852, one of its key objectives was to create a museum where it could hold its collections. Colchester Museum was founded within Colchester Castle in 1860 and holds one of the best collections of Roman Britain outside London. Annual reports were written up by the committee listing the new finds and donations to the museum as well as other noteworthy events such as the installation of electric light and a visit from members of the Royal Archaeological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland who were "much impressed by the fine collection of Romano-British antiquities" in 1908.
Colchester Museum is now in the sole ownership of the Colchester Borough Council. The Society is proud if its association with the Museum, and publishes here a series of past Annual Reports.